When two Spanish journalists who cover Atletico de Madrid posted the latest news pertaining to Thomas Partey’s rumoured move to Arsenal, it was met with some disgruntlement and anger in some Arsenal quarters.
Here is a look at what the two journalists said.
#AFC offer on the table is €25m plus a player in exchange for Thomas Partey. Atleti insist on the €50m in cash. [@MatteMoretto]
#AFC have communicated to Atleti that they will not go as high as meeting the €50m buy-out clause for Thomas Partey [@Dvinuesa]
It is well documented that Arsenal is not in the strongest financial position which is totally self-inflicted by the continuous failure to make the Champions League and lack of sound contract management that has seen some stars leave on free transfers or next to nothing.
The club is said to be admirers of the 27-year-old Ghanaian international and would like to bring him to the Emirates this transfer window. The talks are off to a typical Arsenal start if one can say so, with Arsenal trying to find a different way to meet Atletico’s clause and land a player they desperately need.
It is no surprise that Mikel Arteta and the Arsenal hierarchy are interested in bringing in a solid reinforcement in the middle of the park who is one of the best in the world at his position. The player is not the creative dynamo that Arsenal is clearly craving after a season in which they scored the lowest number of goals in their Premier League history, Partey will go a long way to shore up the defence and assist the team to control the midfield more than they have been doing this term.
Below are some key statistics courtesy of https://www.skysports.com/ that make the Partey an appealing option for the current Arsenal side.
If there was any doubt in the two Spanish journalists posts, one of the world’s premier football journalists Fabrizio Romano put an exclamation mark on the reports by confirming what had been initially reported an hour and thirty minutes prior to his post.
So, taking all of this into account the consensus amongst Arsenal fans is that the club will not be able to complete the Partey signing and that they will somehow find a way to not complete the deal. They have every right to be on edge as this is the type of signing that can change the trajectory of the club going into next season.
I have five takeaways that are based on the latest surrounding Partey.
1) Arsenal do indeed want to sign Thomas Partey and it seems the news that they have an agreement with the player and his camp is legitimate.
2) Arsenal have offered 25 million Euros plus Matteo Guendouzi for Partey that reveals how much they value Guendouzi at. This opens the door for other teams to come and offer the very same 25 million Euros to land the player, funds which will be used to purchase Partey. There are numerous clubs across Europe who with the damaging financial impacts of the Corona virus will be able to afford Guendouzi’s price tag.
3) Matteo Guendouzi will not be an Arsenal player next season. And another player in the shape of Lucas Torriera could be offered to Atletico if the sale of Guendouzi does not materialize soon enough.
4) Arsenal do not want to spend 50 million Euros upfront for one player as they want to address more areas in their bid to rebuild the team.
5) Arsenal have been closing all the “big” deals that they have really wanted to close for many seasons now. From signing Lacazette despite Lyon’s president blasting them in the media, signing Aubameyang by completing a deal that allowed Giroud to move to Chelsea and giving Chelsea the chance to move on Michy Batshuayi on loan, to signing one of the previous window’s hottest prospects in Nicolas Pepe. The club has been getting deals done with tremendous success, this one is far from being done but I will not be surprised if Partey