Borussia Dortmund’s man-orientated press:
– Neymar & Di Maria unable to receive b/w line (BVB’s WCBs ready to engage) -> Mbappe isolated
– Verratti & Gueye with limited progressive passing options
– Paris Saint Germain’s WBs taking deep positions & unable to offer advanced outlet to relieve pressure in central areas -> weary of Borussia Dortmund’s counters through wide midfielders/wingers (Sancho & Hazard)
Paris Saint Germain are played right into Borussia Dortmund’s hands:
– Building in a 3-4-2-1/3-4=3 vs Borussia Dortmund’s 5-4-1 mid-block with a man orientated press.
– Di Maria & Neymar operating in half spaces, staying high to occupy BVB’s WCBs Piszczek and Zagadou & vertically stretch BVB -> dropping to receive when wingbacks Kurzawa and Meunier play to CMs Gueye and Verratti
– Borussia Dortmund’s wingbacks aggressively man-marking Neymar & Di Maria -> end up receiving in less favourable areas (in front of opposition midfield line) which meant nobody to play to between lines -> unable to progress the ball quickly enough = susceptible to turnovers/counters
– Borussia Dortmund’s curved press from wingers/wide midfielders when PSG’s wingbacks Marquinhos and Kimpembe receive -> passing lane to Paris Saint Germain’s wingbacks block -> trigger for BVB’s central midfielders to engage Paris Saint Germain’s central midfielders.